In this episode, Den gets his guest, filmmaker, and founder of Balloon Tree Productions, Matt Smolen, to really let his hair down and give up many of his business secrets. If you want proven strategies and methods for running a smooth, efficient, and systems-based video production business, then you’ll probably like this one… a LOT!
Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll hear:
- A stupid obvious way (yet hardly anyone does) to avoid burnout in business. If you feel like you’re working harder than a cat trying to bury a turd on a marble floor and you’re under more stress than John Goodman’s office chair, then listen in at 3:35 and hear how Matt overcame this feeling of overwhelm. (Not only has it helped him feel more in control and less stressed, but it also made his video production business more fun and more profitable.)
- The secret to getting your hired-help or employees to (1) truly give a damn about your video business (2) work hard to impress you, and (3) willingly strain their brains to come up with strategies and systems for your business. Hear exactly how Matt achieved this with his team, – 4:20
- The unglamorous secret to having a quick and smooth-sailing onboarding process for your video business. Do this correctly, and you’ll be getting the very best out of your new hires almost immediately. (Bonus: not only will you love how quickly they’ll find their feet, but they will find the whole experience rewarding and inspiring, too. – 6:30)
- The “Balloon Tree” method that helps get your team fired up, feeling good, and all on the same page. – 10:00
- A quickie crash course in project management for filmmakers.
- A “quick and dirty” rundown of workflow management software. And… which ones Matt fancies and the ones he doesn’t. – 14:00
- The forgetful business owner’s guide to running a seamless and effective business. – 16:00
- Advice for filmmakers looking to hire. – 19:00
- Untapped and overlooked places to find good employees for your video production business. Your next star employee may come from one of these normally ignored places. – 19:20
- Simple tips for conducting an effective and elegant performance review. – 20:00