Jamie McKenzie runs Pure Productions in New Zeland and had just come out of stage 4 lockdown. In this interview, we discuss how COVID could be a blessing in disguise for the video industry.
Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll hear:
- Jamie talks about his “knee-jerk” reaction upon hearing about his country’s (New Zealand) level 4 lockdown, and how he finally came to his senses and started taking advantage of shit-tuation. – 3:30
- How most production companies are leaving bundles of money on the table, and how to start scooping it up. – 4:50
- A clever thing to do when your market tightens their belts that can potentially set your business up for a horde of new business in the near future. – 6:00
- A ridiculously simple (yet overlooked) way to get your production videos a ton more exposure. – 10:20
- A little-known reason why many video company owners struggle to sell their clients on using video. – 13:00
- Why Jamie intentionally smashed up one of his cameras, and… how it has helped him sell his clients on using video for their business. – 13:20
- Why most videographers are complete hypocrites. – 13:30
- A “caveman simple” way to pick up new business and demonstrate the quality of your company’s video production in one fell swoop. – 13:45
- How COVID 19 is good for the video production industry. – 18:45
- Den and Jamie discuss the “Uberfication” of the video production industry. -19:10
- Den’s “big, hairy 5-year prediction” for the video industry that, if eventuates, will turn the industry on its head. Hear Den’s bold prediction at 20:00
- A common (and very silly) mindset that keeps many videographers broke as a joke even if they’re passionate and excellent at what they do. – 21:00
- A particular award given in Australia that is almost every filmmaker’s wet dream. It’s true. Many filmmakers secretly desire this award, but… it often impairs their judgment when making important business decisions. – 21:50
Over the past two decades, Jamie has become a master of his craft as a filmmaker, storyteller, and marketer. His creative style, perception and technical know-how matched with his marketing and entrepreneurial expertise have seen him produce literally thousands of hours of content for a variety of clients and industries around the world.
Originally starting out in one of London’s most successful production houses he has gone on to film content in over 60 countries including extreme environments, aerial and underwater filming. He’s written and directed commercials and corporate communications across a mix of sectors and developed his production company PURE to be one of New Zealand’s most respected boutique production companies.
Connect with Jamie on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamiemckenzienz/